Original Universal Supply Group, Inc. location in 1940.
In the summer of 1940, Heinz Hildebrandt and William Voorhis founded Universal Engineering Co., with the idea that their new business would manufacture oil burners. However, due to shortages created by World War II, the pair found themselves repairing and fabricating burners rather than manufacturing them. For five years their business developed, becoming a trusted supply and repair facility, and in 1945, Hildebrant and Voorhis built their first Universal shop at 344 Wagaraw Road in Hawthorne, New Jersey—only feet away from where the Hawthorne branch stands today.
Over the decades, Universal Supply Group, Inc. has expanded to include new locations and new product lines, most notably the addition of HVAC equipment in 1986. As the needs of Universal’s customers and local markets grew, so did the company’s inventory, and today, Universal Supply Group, Inc. proudly offers a complete, robust line of products and services for HVAC contractors in New Jersey and the New York Metro area.